Sep 15, 2008

The Joy of Not Working Has Kept Me Going for Years

It is now 17 years since I wrote The Joy of Not Working: A Book for the Retired, Unemployed, and Overworked.

I consider this book The World's Second Best Retirement Book (after my How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free) although retirement coach and seminar presenter George Fulmore in California considers it the best.

For the record The Joy of Not Working has now sold over 225,000 copies; it has been published in 17 languages. This book has kept me going in more ways than one, including financially and psychologically.




I have received several letters from people in Japan who have read the Japanese edition of The Joy of Not Working - the cover of the Japanese edition is below.

Here is one of them from Ayumi Nakabayashi in Osaka, Japan written in the first half of 2008:



    Dear Ernie:

    I have just read you
    The Joy of Not Working and I'm writing to thank you.

    I'm a single working mother with twin daughters. What this means is I'm a poor miserable woman in Japanese society, so I am always worried about money for the future more than necessary and never enjoying my present life.

    This book gave me a different view of my life, which I should pay attention to. I don't earn much money but enough to live, and have free time to enjoy. I feel excited about thinking how to spend my free time now. I'm making an "Idea Tree" [Get-a-Life Tree] after writing this letter. To read The Joy of Not Working in English is on the top of the list! I have forgotten that I have a lot of things I want to do.

    This book gave me a chance to think over the relationship with boring people, too.

    I'm sorry I don't have enough words to explain how I feel now in English, but I really appreciate you.

    Sincerely,

    Ayumi Nakabayashi


Here are the covers of some of the Foreign Editions of The Joy of Not Working:


    French Edition



The Joy of Not Working - French Edition




    Spanish Edition



The Joy of Not Working - Spanish Edition




    Japanese Edition



The Joy of Not Working - Japanese Edition




    Czech Edition



The Joy of Not Working - Czech Edition




    Greek Edition



The Joy of Not Working - Czech Edition




    German Edition



The Joy of Not Working - German Edition




    Turkish Edition



The Joy of Not Working - Turkish Edition




    French Edition - Canada



The Joy of Not Working - French Edition - Canada




    Dutch Edition



The Joy of Not Working - Dutch Edition




    Korean Edition



The Joy of Not Working - Korean Edition




    Italian Edition



The Joy of Not Working - Italian Edition




    Chinese Edition - Traditional Characters



The Joy of Not Working - Chinese Edition - Tradtional Characters




    Chinese Edition - Simplified Characters



The Joy of Not Working - Chinese Edition - Simplified Characters




    Portuguese Edition



The Joy of Not Working - Portuguese Edition




    Polish Edition



The Joy of Not Working - Polish Edition

No comments: