Jun 10, 2010

Retirement Planning - People Who Are Changing Their Saving Money Ways



This posting recently appeared in the Reporter Connection


    Looking For People Ages 50+ Who Are Changing Their Money Ways

    Submitted By: Katrina Hunt
    Title: Freelance Writer
    Media Outlet: Personal Finance Magazine
    Company: Meredith Publishing

    I'm working on a piece for a personal finance magazine co-published by Principal.

    We are looking for singles or couples ages 50-plus who are changing their retirement savings strategy as they see retirement coming on the horizon.

    Maybe you've ramped up your savings, or cut your spending, but we're looking to interview and photograph people whose new habits or life experiences could provide insights for other pre-retirees.

    Thanks!
Below is my submission.


    TO: Katrina Hunt, Personal Finance Magazine
    FR: Ernie Zelinski

    Question 1: Based on the above, what do you have to offer? Give me a brief pitch below.

    Answer: I have never had a budget and I have never had a written "retirement plan" but I am sure that I will be okay in retirement.

    I didn't start saving for retirement until I was 42 and I am 60 now.

    After living under the so-called poverty line for several years, and once I finally started making some money, I started saving 40 to 50 percent of my income.

    That is why I have no sympathy for baby boomers who made great money and haven't saved anything for retirement.

    As I initially stated in my international bestseller "The Joy of Not Working", money is actually quite easy to handle. Indeed, there are only two secrets.

    The first secret is: Spend less than you make.

    If this doesn't work for you, then the second secret is definitely for you:

    Make more than you spend.

    That's all there is to money.

    Question 2: How have you changed your retirement savings strategy?

    Answer: Now that I am close to 61 and have a little nest egg, I have actually started spending more money that I used to.

    My retirement savings strategy, however, is to save more but also make a lot more money.

    See My Retirement Plan on The Retirement Cafe

    Part of my strategy and retirement planning resources involves spending money on my personal education and learning more about internet marketing and even writing and publishing so that I can continue making even more money that I have been making, allowing me to save more.

    I spent over $4,000 for two courses by two of the top Internet Marketing Gurus in the world and I know this will pay off with a great earnings which lead to great savings.

    In one of my books I state, "Your Prosperity Will Grow to the Extent That You Do."

    I also state, "Try to Spend More on Your Career Training and Personal Development than on Your Next Hairstyle."

    Question 3: What was the catalyst for this change?

    Answer: Even though I have a nice nestegg, I have decided to create more income and more savings for myself because I don't want to be poor as I get older. I live in a cold climate and I want to have the funds to go to Hawaii for 2 or 3 months a year.


    Question 4: What new strategies have been working for you so far, and-or which ones have not?

    Answer: All my strategies are doing just fine.


    Last Question: Anything else you`d like to add?

    Answer: J.P. Getty said, "People who don't respect money don't have
    any." This is an important quote for retirement.

    Ernie J. Zelinski
    Author of How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free
    (Over 125,000 copies sold and published in 9 languages)
    and The Joy of Not Working
    (Over 250,000 copies sold and published in 17 languages)

No comments: