Apr 15, 2011

Retirement Planning Test - How Much More Are You Than a Damn Job?


An important element of retirement planning is the nonfinancial aspects of retirement. In other words, what are you going to do with all the spare time if you don't get yourself a retirement job to fill some of the extra leisure time that you acquire?


There are many other issues relating to your leisure time as well such as including your spouse in your retirement plan. As a participant in a retirement planning seminar said to the seminar leader, "I now have half the income and twice the husband." I received the following letter about my retirement book The Joy of Not Working from Cary H. of Salem, OR on April 15th, 2011.

    Hi Ernie: I am a 69-year-old general contractor, semi-retired, and eager to quit! A friend of mine gave me your book The Joy of Not Working. Delightfully your book has enchanted me and turned me around. I am now looking for ways to live with less and to quit work NOW. What I have known and practiced and forgotten, is that attitude adjustments are what produce change. I have bought into the concept that I am my job. My big excitement is what is going to happen now that I can stop work-work and be alive with my creativity. Dylan Thomas's retirement quotation was perfect. I remember my father being curious to the day he died. What a great trail. Now I look around and wonder how much more I am than a damn job! Thank you, thank you! Cary. H.

Note: The Dylan Thomas quote that Cary was referring to is "Somebody is boring me; I think that it is me."




Also see details of my other retirement book How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free on Amazon.com , actually The World's Best Retirement Book.

No comments: