Jan 5, 2010

What's Wrong with Unemployment?


Whenever friends or acquaintances tell me that they have either gotfired or laid off their jobs, my response is, “Congratulations.” After I said this to a friend who quit his job during an economic recessionnot so long ago, his face lit up, before he started laughing and remarked,“You are the only one who has said this to me. Everyone else is asking me things like ‘How could you during a recession? Jobs are so hardto come by!’ or ‘How are you going to survive?’ ”

I congratulate people who have quit or lost their jobs because I knowthat for creative and innovative people who want real success in theirlives, this is an opportunity for them to go on to something not only better, but something great!
Unemployment is a time to build some real character. You can be as creative as you are capable of and you can be as crazy and goofy as you want to be. Unemployment can be an opportunity to develop yourself as an innovative human being so that you don't need a government job, any government assistant, or a corporate job to make a great living.

In fact, unemployment is similar to retirement. I have just completed a book The Joy of Being Retired: 365 Reasons Why Retirement Rocks (and Work Sucks!). I can just as easily think of 365 reasons why unemployment rocks as why retirement rocks.

Being an optimist when economic times are good doesn't count. I have been unemployed for over half my adult life. This is a good thing.

Whatever you sow, you reap. If you want to make unemployment a bad thing, it becomes a bad thing. If you want to look at unemployment as a good thing, as I have done all my life, it becauses a good thing. The harvest you reap will depend upon the seeds you plant.

Here are two quotes about unemployment from my e-book 1001 BestThings Ever Said about Work available at Creative Free E-books:

    Getting fired is nature's way to telling you that you had the wrong job in the first place.
    — Hal Lancaster

    Unemployment is capitalism's way of getting you to plant a garden.
    — Orson Scott Card

Here are two recent articles related to jobs:

Here are some new retirement resources on the How to Retire Happy: Retirement with a Difference Website:

No comments: